Monday 16 August 2010

Getting a Job

Photobucket


I’m unemployed. There you go. That’s not to say I sit at home in my underwear, eating cheetos and watching Star Trek (Sorry Josh).

I could probably get a job, if I wanted to, within a week. It I could be getting yelled at in a Callcenter, filling in endless databases with my hatred, or teaching English in some other corner of the planet.

Unfortunately for all those wonderful establishments, I know that if I get a job anywhere, I am going to stay there as long as possible to avoid going through the slog of the graduate jobhunter. That’s why it’s taking me a long time; I want to work in a position that I actually want to do, somewhere that I can progress and forge myself a career. Seems like a lot to ask these days.

It’s proven very tough, in fact this blog is spawned from my efforts to get a job. Sure, no one is going to read the words of an Internet nobody, but at least I can show an employer I know a little bit about blogs and the importance of keeping yourself busy and out there.

My neighbour suggested the peacock effect. He told me a story about a guy who would go into the reception of various businesses, wearing a suit that stank to high heaven and refused to move until he could talk to someone in recruitment, and blag himself a job. I'm not sure how the tale ended - I like to think he was told to go have a shower, and come in the next day.

Now, I’m not that desperate yet, but something has to be done. The job market is a very fickle place, and I’ve got a feeling that getting invited for an interview as akin to waiting for a bus on a rainy cold day, or a policeman while a thuggish man does untold things to you. You will wait and wait, and all of a sudden, 5 will hit you at once.

Well, bring it on. Even my cat is noticing I am at home far too much, and I swear to god he brought in a job leaflet from somewhere.
Now, if you will excuse me, I have a hankering for some Cheetos, and I believe Star Trek will be on at any moment.

P.S. If you are reading, this, HIRE ME. I aint pretty, but I make a mean cup of coffee.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Laughter Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory